This program is designed to anticipate developing culture, which has commercialized in context of economics and technology. Therefore, this program aims to develop sensitivity and ability in understanding and explaining implications of cultural products which have become commercialized.
The facilities which is available in Graduate school of GMU are:
There are 2 units of libraries. First is Graduate School of GMU library and 18 faculty libraries.
- Language and training Center
GMU has a language and training center which can be used by graduate students to improve their ability in foreign language specially English and French.
- Other facilities are Dr. Sardjito public hospital located near by GMU Campus
- BNI Bank and Campus post office
- Campus book store
- University publishing center
- There are also many transportation services like buses and taxis connected in the area of GMU.
I. Core courses
- Cultural Theories
- Media Theories
- Paradigm of Culture and Media Studies
- Hermeneutic and Semiotic Approaches
- Politics Economic Approaches
- Ethnographic Media Approaches
- Thesis Proposal Seminar
II. Core-Elective Courses
- Popular Literature
- Music Industry
- Television and Film Industry
- News and Story
- Media and Political Control
- Art Performance and Politics
II. Elective Courses
- Local and Global Culture
- Politics and Culture
- Visual Culutre
- Gender and Culture
- Tourism and Culture
- Cultural Resources Management
- Ethnicity and Identity
- Life Style and Consumerism Culture
- Violence and Culture
- Culture Industry
- Post-Colonialism and Neo Colonialism
- Multiculturalism and Public Policy
Applications to the Graduate School can be submitted in writing by completing application forms available in the academic office. This form will be available after payment of the registration fee for Rp. 500.000,-
- Legal copy of Undergraduate Certificate
- Legal copy of academic transcript
- Recommendation Letter (may be in essay form) from anybody who knows the applicant's academic ability.
- Study objective of the applicant for joining the program, the content must be about reasons, hopes and plan for study in this program.
- Institution permission letter. (if working in an institution)
- Statement letter to pay the tuition fee from the institution or privately.
- Copy of Academic Ability Test from OTO Bappenas by score of 500.
- Copy of International TOEFL/ from PPB UGM with a minimum score of 450.
- Stamped envelope enclosed with the name and address of the applicant written on it.
- Proof on payment of the registration fee of Rp. 500.000,-
- Medical proof letter from certified doctor.
Process and Duration of Study
This Graduate program is designed to be completed four semesters (two years). The minimal credits are 42 credits include a thesis. the limited duration of study is 4 years. Academic calendar for the first semester is begins in early September to the end of January. The second semester is begins in early February to the end of June.
In taking classes and other academic activities like field research, seminars, research, etc., student will be guided by a thesis advisor.
Tuition fee is Rp. 24.000.000,- which should be paid by students or sponsor. Foreign students should pay US$5.000 per semester. Students who are lecturers at state or private universities, can apply for a BPPS scholarship. The procedure to receive a BPPS scholarship can be asked to the Graduate School of GMU or the applicant's institution.
Registration Selection and Announcement
Registration for applicants, who want to receive a BPPS scholarship, start from early December to April each year. Result selection will be announced in the middle of August. This program receives applicanta who will pays his/her own fee until the end of June.
Announcement for applicant who pays his/her own tuition fee will be announced on July.
Selection will be based on:
- Academic ability
- Fulfillment of requirements
- Concordance between study objectives and educational background
- Availability placement for applicants in each study program
For detailed information, please contact
- GMU Graduate School
Jl. Teknika Utara, Pogung, Yogykarta
Tlp. (o274) 544975, 555881, 901210, 902310
Fax. (0274) 564239,547861, 555881